Friday, August 27, 2010

Getting Red-ee


The preparations for tomorrow. My first attempt at an entirely unhealthy cake that uses 60 milliliters of red food colouring. That is right - 2 whole ounces. I hate to think of what this will do inside of my little guy's body, but it isn't a daily treat, right?

Note the beautiful combo of food colouring and cocoa in the little Pyrex dish.


I'm used to baking and tasting the goods, but this gluten-free thing is killing me times like this. So mommy had to "resign" herself to dark chocolate and almonds...gluten-free and very minimal dairy. Dimple seems to do okay with scant amounts of it in my milk.

The beautiful swirl!

My magenta creation. I'll post the final results when I get some pictures of the finished product. Now I'm off to toothpick test doneness!

2 comments:

ioi said...

One of my earliest memories of cooking was making a Red Velvet cake with my dad for my mom's birthday. Perhaps I remember because red has always been my favorite color. According to the photographs I was just 4 days past my 2nd birthday. This post made me remember the hug my Daddy gave me when we watched my mom blow out her candles.

SMC said...

Happy Birthday from Sask!